Thursday, September 24, 2009

A little bit of faith....

.... goes a long way!
The Merriam-Webster dictionary allots the following for the definition of faith:
Faith:
Pronunciation: \ˈfāth\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural faiths \ˈfāths, sometimes ˈfāthz\
Etymology: Middle English feith, from Anglo-French feid, fei, from Latin fides; akin to Latin
Date: 13th century
1 a : allegiance to duty or a person :
loyalty b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs.
Do you agree with that definition? I do, well mostly. Except for the part of the definition that says a belief in something for which there is no proof and I only disagree because of the definition of "proof" which is generally defined as having physical evidence of something. And while I have no physical evidence of God, I see how real he is when I witness a sunset... I see no proof of love except for the feelings I have when I'm with my family and friends. And while you can see a sunset, you can't even see a feeling. And I have faith that God preforms miracles everytime I look at him....

2 Corinthians 5:7 says 'We live by faith, not by sight.' And it is by faith in God, faith in miracles and faith in Gabriel that encourages Matt and I everyday.
Today Gabriel had his 2nd opthomolgist appointment and it didn't go as we had planned. His right eye lid is still weak so the doctor advised us to start covering his left eye for 30 minutes a day to encourage his right eye to work correctly. Upon further examination the doctor noted that not only is Gabe's lid weak, his right eye has trouble looking in, looking up and the pupil is a little bigger than it should be. These four findings lead the doctor to believe that Gabriel's 3rd cerebral nerve isn't working the way it should be. Whether it be under developed, wrapped in a blood vessel or have a tumor on it, Gabriel needs an MRI to see exactly what is going on. So after Dr. K(opthomologist) speaks to Dr F (neurologist) they will most likely schedule a MRI sooner than the 6 months we had originally planned.
And while we hope the MRI finds nothing and Gabriel's vision develops perfectly we have faith in Gods plan. Faith, that while we may not always understand, and we may be scared for Gabriel, we know everything will work out the way God intends it too. 1 Corinthians 2:5 tells us 'that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power'. And we do have faith in the doctors and their recommendations but we have much greater faith in Him.
While I may lose faith in myself and circumstances, in people and ideas I will not lose faith in God.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I know we keep up on FB, but just wanted you to know that we're praying for you guys as always :-)

Becky