But before you hear (ie read) the verdict, here are some pictures for your visual enjoyment of Gabriel at the park:)
And the verdict says: it's time to fix Gabriel's eye lid.
This decision of course comes with mixed emotions.
- We're happy that Gabe was able to wait until after he was 1 to have this surgery.
- We're sad that he has to have another eye surgery. 2 surgery's in less than 6 months for such a little boy seems like too much but we know there are others who have had it much harder.
- We're grateful for a doctor and hospital that always help us make the best decision possible for our little boy. I once asked Dr. R what he would do if it was his son and every time we've met with him since I feel like he's still answering along those lines
- We're scared that he'll be scared again after surgery like he was last time.
- We're relieved that we're moving forward before Gabe's vision is more affected.
- We're nervous that this could possibly be a series of surgeries for Gabriel.
Along with all of those feelings comes the fact that his surgery isn't scheduled yet because insurance considers this a 'non-necessary surgery.' If you can properly explain to me how a surgery that is going to help preserve Gabriel's eye sight is 'non-necessary' please do. If I laugh in your face as you try to explain how my sons eye sight isn't necessary, don't be offended.
I mean, come on!! Surgery to ensure Gabe can see is NOT necessary. Give me a break!
Thankfully we have been approved for secondary insurance through the Bureau of Children with Medical Handicaps, so Gabe's surgery should be covered regardless. What a blessing BCMH has become to us!
So I suppose I should end this post by asking for your prayers; that Gabriel's surgery will go well, his recovery quick and his vision saved.
Hugs to you - from us and Gabe!