Thursday, July 22, 2010

I Choose Miracle

Most of the time I used to forget Gabe was considered a special needs baby. Sure, in the aspect of motor skills he's lagging behind but I never gave Gabe much consideration as special needs.

Until now, and I still don't prefer the term 'special needs'. Because everyone is special and each of our needs are differet, so shouldn't we all be considered special needs?

But anyways, until recently I didn't give much thought about Gabe being a 'special needs baby'. But now I can't ignore it, nor should I. In the past few weeks we've left the therapy office with two special pieces of equipment. And while I'm grateful to have these items to help Gabe catch up on his gross motor skills, bringing them home was like a slap in the face.


The first couple of days I felt like the stander or chair were taunting me. Ignorance, whether well-meaning or on accident, is surely not bliss.


You see, I gladly put on Gabe's eye patches to help his eye lid and further develop his sight and wearing his splint and brace didn't seem like a big deal. But having him stand or sit in such medical looking devices broke my heart initially. I would situate him in it and then have to look away or the tears in my eyes would surely hit my cheeks.


Gradually though, I've seen improvements; Gabe is more steady on his feet and even keeps weight on his left leg. His sitting has vastly improved as well and I know that we will soon have an independant sitter on our hands.


And these improvements make my heart happy, even if seeing him in these devices makes me sad. But Gabe loves to sit in his special chair or stand in his stander. He delights in the fact that he's able to sit and reach for things without tumbling over or stand up and have a much more fun perspective on the world around him.


Seeing his excitement and joy in his stander or chair make my heart happy. Because Gabe does not know he's considered 'special needs' and he strives to learn and grow each and every day. Just the fact that he's learning and growing is remarkable. Just a short 11 months or so ago we were unsure if Gabe would live through the birthing process and knew full well he'd be paralyzed on his left side.

Gabe (and God) showed us different. Gabe beat the odds and is to this day a remarkable case of schizencephaly.


All that being said, I still hate the term "special needs" because while I know Gabe is special, we don't want him to feel any different than his buddies Noah and Micah, or his lifegroup friends or his cousins.


So, I'm letting go of the classification of special needs; Gabe's doctors and therapists can define him by anyway they want but not me. I'm choosing to use the word miracle to describe Gabe's prognosis.


Because Gabe just being the happy (and he is the happiest baby ever), sweet little boy that he is, is more than enough for me. Anything else is just icing on the cake!

Gabe in his chair

Gabe in his stander
"It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man." Psalm 118:8

3 comments:

Dan Samms said...

Gabe is an awesome kids\. His buddy Micah loves hanging out with him. I'm glad Micah has a good friend.

Carrie said...

Ahh Gabe...look how happy and he is growing so much! God is moving mountains with your sweet miracle!

Mrs. Crum said...

Good for you! I cannot imagine being a parent but as a teacher people constantly think it is depressing to work with children that have exceptionalities (that is what I like to call it ;O)). I don't think that people realize that these children don't even really realize that they are different, and they are just working on growing up to be the best that they can be. In such a cruel society I cannot believe the compassion and understanding that other children have for some of my students. It really warms your heart to see. I guess I really didn't have a point here other than to say good for you and your positive outlook on life! I am by no means an expert but I am here if you need anything!!