Monday, November 23, 2009

Being Thankful

"Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking,
which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving."(Ephesians 5:4 ESV)

This year as I approach Thanksgiving rather than dwelling on the turkey, pilgrims and festivities I'm going to go back to the beginning. In 1863 President Abraham Lincoln wrote a proclamation declaring the last Thursday in November as Thanksgiving. And it wasn't to celebrate food, friends or even the "first dinner" between the Indians and Pilgrims. Thanksgiving's very first and true meaning was to give thanks to God for all of the blessings in your life.

So this year rather than being stressed about preperations, I'll thank God for giving me a home to host dinner in. Rather than feeling cynical or upset about life, I'll thank God for giving me these opprotunities to lean on him and learn about grace. When I'm tired and sore I won't beg God for a healthy body, I'll thank him for allowing me the opprotunity to feel compassion and empathy to the afflicted. And rather than worry about finances I will thank God for always providing for our family.
I will not dwell on the negatives... but thank God for everything.
Don't get me wrong, I will still be thankful for:
Love
Good Food
Good Friends

Lots of Family

and this little guy....

but I will make sure that for all of my many blessings I will give thanks to the Lord. So while I will indulge in scrumptious food surrounded by my loved ones I will know and acknowledge that all good things come from the Lord. And I will give Him my thanks.

1 comment:

Luke H. said...

Now that's a great reminder of what Thanksgiving truly is. Do I have your permission to share the above with my family on Thanksgiving? Either way thank you for an inspiring post!