Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

I just wanted to wish all of my favorite fathers... and every father out there a HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

A little about my favorite dads:

My dad: As the youngest and only girl, to say I had (and probably still do) my dad wrapped tightly around my pinky was an understatement. There was not one thing he would not do for me, or still does for me. Like just yesterday helping us paint our bathroom... my dad HATES to paint, yet still took the time to make my bathroom a beautiful toffee crunch. My dad is not a "wordy" man but my brothers and I never had to question his love and devotion for us. Actions speak louder than words and the many hours he slaved away at work, many times doing a job he didn't like, to ensure we had shelter, food and clothes demonstrated his love for us. The fact that he probably only ate 2 warm dinners a year when we were little because he was always taking us from one to another, coaching soccer teams or cheering us on while we played showed his 100% devotion to us. I feel so blessed to have a father that loves his family so much.

My father-in-law: Jim's love for his children and dedication to his family are a few of the reasons I appreciate him so much. Whenever his children need him, Jim's there. Like working all morning to help his son and daughter-in-law move their belongings into their new home. Matt is who he is today because of who his father is. And for that I will always be grateful to Jim for helping to turn Matt into the wonderfully intelligent, loving and caring person he is.

Matt and Michael: My brothers are terrific fathers. Caleb, Ethan, Jacob and Sam are the most fortunate children of their generation. Matt and Caleb share this intricate bond filled with love, laughter and mutual admiration. And as Caleb edges closer and closer to the teenage years, his relationship with his dad seems to only grow stronger. I love watching Matt and Caleb together, seeing their bond makes me anxious to see my husband Matt with our children.

Michael tries to be Superdad and really seems to succeed at it. Coaching football, soccer and baseball, cooking, spending countless hours playing trains and Nintendo Wii (I'm sure he enjoys that as well), not a day goes by that Michael isn't fully devoted to his boys. Ethan, Jacob and Sam seem to complete Mike. Add Mike's wife Annie to the mix... and there's your Norman Rockwell Christmas card in the making.

I anxiously await the day when I can add Matt (husband, not brother) to my list of favorite fathers, but in many ways he's already there. He has so much love, wisdom and knowlege to share with our children and right now he shares it with our nephews. As Matt said about me in our adoption interview, I can say about him. In so many ways Matt is already a father, just without a child. Our future child(ren) is going to be so blessed to have a dad like him.

While many people think of infertile women wanting to be Mother's on mothers day, I'm afraid childless men are forgotten on Fathers Day. So today, I will pray for Matt and all of the other men desiring for a child; that they will find comfort in God until they have a child of their own and that God will answer their prayers for a child.

Love & Blessings, Meredith

4 comments:

Luke H. said...

What a wonderful tribute to Fathers! I thoroughly enjoyed taking in the words you shared.

Anonymous said...

Wow, great post Meredith! Luke shared with me how he'd been touched by it so I wanted to see for myself. You have such deep and personal thoughts to share and it's a blessing to just be "part" of your journey. Your prayer partners and friends, Luke & Anna

Becky said...

That was beautiful, Meredith. We wish Matt many happy Father's Days to come - I know how much joy that will bring to both of you.

Thank you so much for your kind wishes for Fred. He appreciated it :-) You've got our prayers as always.


Becky

Unknown said...

Meredith-
I am so glad to hear you and Matt are finally moved into your new place.
I am sorry to hear about the bm. I cant help but look at my best friend's lil man(who is now 6wks old) and just fall in love. I can only imagine how the two of you feel. I sit there and think, WOW this is probably 10xs less than what Matt and Mere feel. I pray that you two will have the family that you so despritly want/need. I am confident that you two will make wonderful parents.
Best Wishes!
-Liz-