Saturday, October 30, 2010

Letting Go

Lately, I've been a little stuck in a funk full of worries, sort of like how Gabriel gets stuck under the dining room table:

And just like Gabe, I get a little frustrated and start looking around for some help to get out (and yes I do take pictures of my baby when he obviously needs me to help him, but he's just so cute I can't help myself)


My funk started because I became lost in my worries; worries that in most cases I can't do anything to change. My darling husband doesn't understand why I worry so much and neither do I, I really think that it may just be part of my genetic make-up; fair-skinned, blonde, worrier.

Sure I attempt to leave it all my worries at God's feet but they always creep back in: what's going to happen if insurance denies Gabe's eye surgery again, how can we get Gabe to use his left arm, will I ever get more than 2 hours of sleep at a time, what if we can't figure out all the adoption money issues, how am I going to leave Gabe to travel to Ethiopia.

Worries, worries, worries. Lots of worries and nothing I can do to change them; except give them to God and stop taking them back. And then I read this:

Broken Dreams

As children bring their broken toys
With tears for us to mend,
I brought my broken dreams to God
Because He was my friend.
But then instead of leaving Him
In peace to work alone,
I hung around and tried to help
With ways that were my own.
At last I snatched them back and cried,
"How could you be so slow"
"My child," He said, "What could I do?
You never did let go."
-Robert J. Burdette

And I realized that until I stop giving God my worries and taking them back, I'm never going to get rid of them. So today I'm going to start over and lay my troubles at the feet of the one who can handle them all. And while I won't know all the solutions to my worries, I'll try to remember that He does and be content with that.
Easier said then done... but we'll see.

5 comments:

Dardi said...

You can do it!! Surrender is not easy, but it does come with peace. It really is better for us all the way around b/c then we can keep living life, & then when things get sorted out the way God intends, we can look back & be amazed at His perfection & wonder why we ever gave it an ounce of energy. Hang in there!! :o)

Becky said...

Oh my oh my, do I ever understand about worrying!!! But you are right, God is there to take them on His shoulders for us. Aren't we lucky??? I know we haven't "chatted" much lately but hope you know that we pray for Gabe and your whole family (including future members :-) ) each and every day. Sending love!

Christy said...

As a fellow worrier...I know what you mean. Praying for you friend!

Carrie said...

Well you know I can relate and I am right there with you...lets try to leave our troubles and worries together...minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day...praying for and with you!

Ang said...

I do this! I want so badly to walk in faith all the time. But my fears can consume me. To the point that I feel frozen in fear. And for me, when I allow myself to feel fear for one thing, within a matter of minutes Ive added five other subjects Im fearful about....it is such a battle for me. Lord help me!

Anyway, Thanks for posting the "Broken Dreams" poem. It has encouraged me!

Blessings!!