Thursday, February 24, 2011

Another Blessing

You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.
2 Corinthians 9:11

A few weeks ago friends of ours approached us with an extraordinarily generous gift; it took a while for me to even be able to wrap my mind around their generosity. And to wrap my mind around the wonders of how God works.

Let me digress for a moment. Matt and I have decided, and our agency has said that the courts will most likely allow it, that only I will travel to Ethiopia. Because of Gabe and his diagnosis and needs, we feel that it would be detrimental to him for both of his parents to be away from him for any extended period of time. And while we know the importance of initial bonding and have big plans for Matt to attach, bond and cocoon with our next baby, for our family as a whole it will be best to take place at our home.

That being said I was planning on going for our court date by myself and having Sondra (my dearest friend and Gabe's 'auntie') accompany me on the second trip. Matt was not fond of this idea and we eventually decided that it would be better for numerous reasons if someone came with me. Luckily my sister-in-law agreed to come for me as well.

But then we went from having to buy 3 round-trip tickets to Addis Ababa to 4 tickets. Which in turn means spending more money on airfare.

In walks our friends. Days after we made the decision for me not to travel by myself, they offered to provide us with a round-trip plane ticket to Addis Ababa.



picture

To say that their generosity blew us away, would be an understatement. I've tried to write them a thank you note but 'thank you' sounds so casual when they're providing such relief from another expense. And while they want to to remain anonymous, we are so grateful and thankful for their generosity (is that redundant? grateful and thankful?).

Tom Brokaw once said "It's easy to make a buck. It's a lot tougher to make a difference." Thank you dear friends for making a difference.

2 comments:

Alison said...

WOW!!! Love this! Love seeing how God always provides! And so glad you won't have to travel alone!!

Carrie said...

That is awesome!