Sunday, September 11, 2011

Never Forget

Ten years ago I was sitting in Biology 101 listening to a lecture on MEIOSIS. I was in a quaint college town in the middle of corn fields. I was sheltered and knew nothing of terrorists, wars and fear. But that Tuesday morning, my life among with every other American changed for ever.

Our dorm room television was turned on for the first time and I sat with my new friends crying and watching in horror as the news played, replayed and reported about the terrorist attacks. We were in the hall with our RA when a girl in the next hall found out her father was killed. Hailey was in my biology class, she was with me and 13 other students when her dad died. I'll always remember how she looked weeks later when she returned to campus; distraught, sad and hollow.

I will never forget where I was on September 11, 2001.

I remember airports before September 11, 2001. Walking with my family to the gate to see my dad fly off or my parents waiting for me at my gate when I returned home from visiting family. There was security of course, but nothing like the body scans and potential pat downs of today.

I remember life before their was a terror alert color, names like Osama bin Laden and Al qadea.

Unfortunately, Gabriel will never know a life without terrorist attacks, fear and intense security. And while I'm grateful for security and extra precautions I don't want Gabe to grow up in a world of fear or a world of hate towards Islam because of extremists. I dread the prospect of having to explain September 11, 2001 to Gabe when he's old enough to understand.

But I will. Because it's part of who we are as a county. Part of who I am. And part of who even he is.


You can be sure that the American spirit will prevail over this tragedy."
--Colin Powell

No comments: