Friday, October 7, 2011

Friends




source


“A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.” - Bernard Meltzer

This week I've been blessed to spend time with some of the women I admire most in life. Strong women, faith-filled women, women that have over come obstacles, women who build me up, women who challenge me to be better and women who keep it real. Early morning walks, late evening pedicures, dining on Ethiopian food, laughing until it hurts, a few much needed tears shed and a lot of talking was had. I mean a lot of talking!




Next week, the distance from Houston to Ohio will never seem greater as I reminisce about all the time I spent with the ones I hold dear.

But today I met up with a friend to walk, to talk, to wrangle our children in strollers and on playgrounds. I missed her deeply but didn't realize how much I needed to see her until we drove our separate ways. Has that ever happened to you?

Do you have a friend that you can be brutally honest too, say things privately to and know they'll keep your trust? I do. I have a few. And today I was with one of them. And she listened to me, spoke with me, walked in comfortable silence along side me and laughed out loud with me.

It felt good. It felt honest. And it was needed.

Sometimes distance causes friendships to fade away. Sometimes life gets too busy and the days are too short. But I have been blessed with friendships that distance doesn't define relationship. In some the distance has created a deeper bond, a bond we know that we have to work to keep. I have been blessed with friendships that encourage me, enrich me and keep me accountable. My friend cup, it is full.



A friend is a hand that is always holding yours, no matter how close or far apart you may be. A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care. A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.” - Henri Nouwen

No comments: