Friday, March 23, 2012

Kisses from Katie

Luke 12:48 - But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.
During our 6 months waiting there have been times we've been questioned why we're waiting to adopt a child from Ethiopia... and if I'm honest with myself, sometimes that question has snuck into my thoughts.  But I know the answer and it immediately resonates from the deepest recesses of my soul: God has commanded us to do this.  He calls for followers to care for the fatherless more than 65 times in the Bible.  While caring for the orphans looks differently for everyone, for us, it means adopting.  For some it means advocating for orphans or financially helping bring orphans to their forever home.  And for others, it means moving to a third world country and jumping right in.  Working in orphanages, teaching marketable skills, building churches, providing medical care and even adopting children there. 
Katie Davis, founder of Amazima, has moved to Uganda to help educate, empower and share the love of God with the people of Uganda.  She has also adopted 13 young girls.  Katie provides these girls with a home, a place to live, learn and grow.  For some she's the first mother they remember and for others, she helps heal the hurt of losing their families.  But for all of them, and the 100s of other children Amazima sponsors she provides hope and the knowledge that God loves them.  When asked why Katie, a young woman of 24, has adopted these children she answers:
"My family, adopting these children, it is not optional. It is not my good deed for the day; it is not what I am doing to 'help out these poor kids.' I adopt because God commands me to care for the orphans and the widows in their distress. I adopt because Jesus says that to whom much has been given, much will be demanded"
-excerpt from Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis.
So even when the journey is long, the wait seems endless and my heart aches to be with our next child I'll dwell on Luke 12:48 and know that we are doing what we have been told to do.  And reaping the amazing benefits of having more children in our life to love.

On a side note, Kisses from Katie is an amazing book, I encourage you to read it! 

No comments: