Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Fear Not

Lately a spirit of fear has been creeping into my heart.  Sometimes during the day but usually at night.  Late at night while I should be sleeping, thoughts about the future, the unknowns this winding world of adoption brings to us, began to create in me a spirit of fear. 

Late one night as I was praying for another adoptive mama and the situation with her son who is a world away, I began to feel fearful for them as well.  As I was dwelling on that fear and getting further and further from any remnants of a good nights rest, I slipped out of bed and went downstairs to get my bible.  Best.  Idea.  Ever.

Do you know how many verses are in the Bible that speak directly on fear; or better yet on not being fearful?  At least 50.

Some of my favorites:

For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. 
2 Timothy 1:7
 
This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
Joshua 1:9
 
For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.
Isaiah 41:13
 
Do not be afraid of them; the LORD your God himself will fight for you.
Deuteronomy 3:22
 
For the Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears.He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.
Zephaniah 3:17
 
The Psalms obviously spoke to me [Smile].
 
I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears
Psalm 34:4
 
The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them
Psalm 34:17
 
When I am afraid, I put my trust in you
Psalm 56:3
 
He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection. Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night, nor the arrow that flies in the day. Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness, nor the disaster that strikes at midday. Though a thousand fall at your side, though ten thousand are dying around you, these evils will not touch you.
Psalm 91:4-8
 
They do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the Lord to care for them.
Psalm 112:7
 
The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?
Psalm 118:6
 
And then there's the lyrics to You Never Let God from Matt Redman.  We sing it occasionally at church, I think we sang at Created for Care and I've come to singing on verse in particular in my head through out the day
And I will fear no evil
For my God is with me
And if my God is with me
Whom then shall I fear?
Whom then shall I fear?
 
Here's the whole song:
 


 
God did not create a spirit of fear in me and every so often I'm finding myself in the notes section of my phone rereading these verses and reminding myself of just that.  

No comments: