Sunday, June 19, 2011

A father carries pictures where his money used to be.

~anonymous



I always knew Matt would be a great dad. I'd seen how much he loves our nephews and how compassionate and fun he could be with children in our Sunday school class. But mostly, I saw bits of my own dad in him.


Growing up my dad always put his family first: he worked hard to provide us a great life and spent all of his free time with us. It wasn't until we were grown that he actually had time for golfing and gardening, his two favorite activities. My dad also puts my mom first. Putting other people first is an important attribute for the leader of the household. And our whole marriage, Matt has put me first. If he was able to put a whiny and emotional (yet loving) wife first, he'd have no problem putting his baby first. I was right; everyday Matt puts Gabriel before any of his own needs.


To this day, no matter what I do my dad supports me. Somehow we survived my teenage and college years and despite my effort to state my Independence; my dad was always there. To love me, listen to me and support me. When I watch Matt play with Gabe, correct him when he misbehaves (I know you all can't imagine Gabe misbehaving, hehe), encourage him to use lefty and cause him to belly laugh; I see what a great dad Matt is as well. Because I can see the future in these moments; I can see Matt playing catch with Gabe talking about life or sitting on the sidelines of his soccer game cheering him on.


Growing up with the blessing of a great father and raising a family with a great father has been two of God's greatest gifts for me.




Gabe and Daddy - 8/19/2009




Gabe and Papo - 8/21/2011


I can't acknowledge Father's Day without acknowledging the man that helped turn Gabe's dad into the fabulous dad he is today. Many of Matt's attributes; how passionate is he about Gabe, how caring he can be with him and how much fun he is as a father are all in part to how his dad was with him. Matt is a great dad in part because of his dad; and I will be forever grateful to him for all he did to help turn Matt into the man and father he is today.


You are missed Gramps!



Gabe and Gramps - 8/22/2011


Happy Father's Day to all the dad's, dad-to-be's and men waiting for the blessing of a child.



He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers; or else I will come and strike the land with a curse. Malachi 4:6

No comments: