Thursday, January 5, 2012

2012

For the most part, I don't like New Years resolutions.  For me they have always been an opportunity to succeed in the short-term but fail in the long-term.  Creating a list of goals generally has the same results for me as well - abject failure! 

I, like most people I imagine, hate failing.  So no resolutions or goals for me.  Sure, I have goals.  I'm not sure I would get anything accomplished if I didn't keep a running to-do list handy or had long term goals.  But I have no grandiose pronouncement of a goal for the new year. 
I do however have a 'phrase' for 2012.  And it may seem like a resolution to you but if I pair my phrase mentally with the word resolution it would be sure to derail any potential success.
Do you remember PeeWee's Play House?  I don't every remember actually watching it but I do remember friends telling me the word of the day when I got to school.  This year will be a little bit like that for me except it will be one phrase for the year not a new word for each day and no one will scream when I say it!  At least I hope not [smile].
My phrase of the year is to "be intentional."  The word intentional actually came to me in early December when I was doing a little mental year-end review.  While ruminating all that 2011 brought to us, it became quite apparent that I had very little intentionality in my life (especially after we moved) and just tried to get from one day to the next. 

I imagine that this year will be a lot of the same as last year; waiting for our referral and monthly numbers update, anticipating visits home, being anxious for weekends and enjoying the daily love and fun I have with Gabe.  The only difference is I'm going to be intentional about all of it. 

I'm going to be intentional about the wait; learn as much about Ethiopia and the culture of our future little ones as possible while preparing my heart to be the mother of one of God's greatest blessings.  I'm going to be intentional with our money; save more and spend less, spend more at small businesses and less at huge conglomerates of businesses.  I'm going to be intentional with my time; the time I spend at home with Gabe, the evenings I spend with Matt, the days we spend in Ohio and the moments I have alone.  I'm going to be intentional with my time with God; delving deeper into the word of God and learning more and more about his desires for my life. And I'm going to be intentional with my passions.  God gave me a heart for orphans and the fatherless not so that I sit at home and look at statistics but so that I make a difference in the lives of others.  God also gave me the sweetest little boy on the planet to mother, love and teach and although I have loved every minute I am going to be much more intentional about shepherding his sweet little heart into a heart that loves the Lord. 

And that's it.  In 2012 I am going to be intentional, on purpose!  What about you?  Any goals, resolutions or even phrases that have you moving forward this new year?

2 comments:

Alison said...

God has given me the word "embrace" for 2012! Excited to see what this year holds!
Also, we have an AGCI Ethiopia Facebook group that I was talking about in my last post...and there is also a yahoo group (the list serv). The FB group you can just request to join and the list serv you have to ask your case worker. I am in both! I like to keep up with what is going on! :)

Amy said...

I love that God gave us both the same word and direction!
Blessings,
Amy