Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Follow Him

Following Jesus. 

Following Him. 
 
It seems so easy yet sometimes, the path He asks you to follow springs up in front of you and your steps begin to slow.
 
source
Follow Him?  But this wasn't what I had planned....
A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.
Proverbs 16:9

Follow Him?  It's going to be hard.  It might hurt.
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
James 1:24

Follow Him?  What if it doesn't work out?
And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”
Matthew 21:22

Follow Him?  I'm scared...
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.
Deuteronomy 31:6

For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you,
Do not fear; I will help you.
Isaiah 41:13
 
Follow Him?

Have you ever read something and even though you've read it numerous times before, this time it was different?  Today I was reading in the book of John and verses 15-19 in 21st book stuck out to me this time.  Perhaps it's because I'm trying to read the Bible more for understanding and not just to get it done but I think it has more to do with the fact that the Lord knew I needed to read this with fresh eyes; that my heart desperately needed to understand what He was saying.

When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”
“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”
Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”
The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.  Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.”
Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God.
Then he said to him, “Follow me!”

As I read this passage for well, probably the 100th time, it hit me.  It spoke to me in a new way.  By following Jesus wherever He tells us to go, we are not only being obedient but we are displaying our love for him.  If Simon Peter hadn't truly loved Jesus, believed in Him, would he have left his fishing nets by the Sea of Galilee when Jesus called out "follow me?"  It would have been so much easier to continue to cast his nets into the water, pull out fish and go about his day.  But no, he loved Jesus and trusted him enough that whenever Jesus told him "Follow me," he did.  

Following Him includes a whole lot of trust, love and obedience.  Following Him can take your trust, love and obedience to a complete different level.

So where is He leading?  Where are we going?  

It may hurt, it may be scary, it may not work out but we're doing it as best as we can. 

Following Him...

No comments: