Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Trash to Treasure

The community where I grew up has an annual Trash to Treasure Day where the whole village (yes, I did say village) has a garage sale. Each home has a garage sale and then people spend the whole weekend perusing through peoples garage sales. I love the slogan "Trash to Treasure" because that little saying not only imparts what a garage sale is but it speaks a lot about life in general. Where other peoples waste becomes someone elses desire, where someones old becomes someone elses new, where others excess provides hope for someone else.

So I'll get to the point... I am planning my very first garage sale. It's going to be August 14 and 15 at our new house! I am really excited to get rid of our extras, meet some new neighbors and have a little bit of fun while I'm at it! But the biggest reason for this garage sale is for it to be a fundraiser for our adoption.

We all know adoption isn't cheap but that's not what this blog is about! This blog is about bring our baby home. However, some people have asked how they can help us.. and besides prayer this garage sale is where YOU come in! I'm giving our garage sale a name... Your Trash Brings Our Treasure Home garage sale!

As you know we just moved, and before I got this wonderful idea of having a garage sale I took most of our potential garage sale items to the Salvation Army drop box. It's good to donate but I sure wish I had more to sell!

Now, back to where you come in... if you live in the area and would like to help us in our 7333 mile dance or whatever avenue our baby comes home to us please clean out your closets, basement or attic and donate items for us to sell! We're not a charity so it won't be tax deductible.. but it is for a good cause and I know I always feel better when my closet/attic/basement is a little less cluttered!

And if you don't live close and still want to help please say a prayer for nice weather, a fun time and good sales. More than making LOTS of money I'd like to find a way to use Your Trash Brings Our Treasure Home garage sale to raise awareness for the orphans. So along with your prayers for nice weather on August 14 & 15, pray for the more than 147 million orphans in the world and what we can do to help.

If you'd like to donate your "trash" just get in touch with me through the blog comments, email or phone. We really appreciate all the help, prayers and support we're getting in this adventure of adopting.

Love & Blessings, Meredith


Pray for MeWe participate in "Pray for Me... Pray for Others" on the Riggs Family Blog. Check out their blog to add your prayer request. Join a community of friends who care about you, and hope you will care about them.

No comments: