Friday, November 19, 2010

Legendary

***warning: not a typical blog post. You may learn to more about me than you ever wanted to know, hehe***

Last night I felt like Barney on HIMYM because every few minutes I just kept thinking that this is legen-dary. And it truly was. Last night brought the beginning of the end of my 13(?) year love affair of Harry Potter. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 premiered last night (this morning?) and I just had to be there. Joining me was my lovely and cohort in midnight movie premiers Megan and my other delightful friends Sarah and Sam, and Meg's just as delightful friend Sarah. Besides me and Meg, the other girls had yet to be to a midnight premier of this magnitude... or maybe any magnitude. And yes, I'm quite certain Sam left wondering exactly how she became friends with someone quite so in love with a fictional world.

Although I'm not quite sure it's fictional [smile].

While it also premiered in IMAX and 3-d we knew we had to see it in the original 2-d format. That's what we'd seen HP 1 - 6 in, it felt dishonest to view a premier in anything but 2-d.

Meeting at Champs at 7:30 seemed like a good idea until we arrived at Crocker Park and people were already entering the theater. Sarah, Sam and Sarah dined in Champs and Meg and I received our food to go and ate in line at the theater. And miraculously, yes miraculously, we were the 1st patrons of theater 13 in line.

Angelo was a little like Hagrid; keeper of the line at Regal Cinema's [smile]. This picture was taken before we begged him to check our tickets early and let us go before he called the rest of theater 13. We worked our wizarding magic, because he did. Or he was just afraid of our obsessiveness. Either way it worked... and we were in the SEAT of CHAMPIONS.

Sarah, Sam, Me, Meg, Sarah

And the need for taking lots of pictures ensued.


In case you don't know HP (gasp!) we are standing with Lord Voldemort, Harry Potter's nemesis.

We also found Victor Krum and Luna Lovegood. I think they did a splendid job getting into character... and yes, Megan and I do ask perfect strangers to take their pictures with us. And then proceed to cheer for them throughout the whole 2 hours of waiting in the theater. We're just that awesome.


Muggle Sarah and wizards Meredith and Megan. Sorry Sarah but Magic is Might!


Sam and Muggle Sarah are part of my life group from church. I'm certain they will never look at me the same after last night (this morning?).



The movie was magical (yes, I note the play on words) and I can hardly believe that I have to wait until July 15 to see part 2. And that will be even more bittersweet than part 1, because it will be the end... but I'm certainly sure not the end of my love for all things Harry Potter.
Before the movie we had an alarmingly (to other people, perfectly normal to us) long conversation on what our patronuses would be if we came across dementors and had acquired wands (we're hoping to acquire wands soon). Sarah would be an eagle, Muggle Sarah a red panda, Sam a cat, me a snowy owl and Meg, well she wasn't quite sure yet. I'll make sure she knows before we visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter next fall though. I'm fairly certain I convinced Meg that a visit there was no longer optional but a priority.

Last night was legendary, epic even. And while I missed putting Gabe to sleep and catching up with Matt about the day... girls night out is almost quite as legendary as a midnight release of Harry Potter. Well, not even almost but pretty darn special!

No comments: