Friday, May 13, 2011

Already? Only?

alternately titled:

knocking down doors
Today, Matt and I celebrate 5 years of marriage. Part of me can't believe it's already been 5 years. Clearly, it seems like it was just yesterday that Matt yelled up "I'm here" to the bridal suite where I was getting ready. While my friends may have chuckled, Matt knew that I needed to know he was there. Not that I thought he wasn't going to get cold feet, just that maybe his friends wouldn't let him come [smile - kind of].

Five years ago I said "I do" vowing to spend the rest of my life with my best friend, only love and other half to my whole. And I haven't looked back since.

But when you're young, 5 years seems like a long time. And while the time intervals haven't changed, time truly does seem to go by much faster. I can't believe it's been 5 years since we said I do, flew to Punta Cana and prepared our house in Parma Heights for our life together.

In five years life changes so much. We have been through so much together already that part of me can't help but wonder how it's only been five years. Shortly, we'll be moving to our third house 1100 miles away from where we call home. We've been through job changes and fertility struggles . We've suffered the loss of a beloved father and grandfathers. We connected even more through finding a deeper faith in Christ. Together we added Gabriel into our family through adoption and are working to add another child.

Matt and I have been through a lot in the first 5 years of our marriage, but the biggest defining factor of it all is that we've been through it together. Love and marriage are a choice, and everyday we choose love.

And I can be perfectly honest, there's no one I'd rather go through life with. Matt is the laidback-ness to my obsessive compulsiveness. The relaxation to my uptightness. The laughter to my seriousness. Matt is my perfect compliment and while I don't believe in the whole "there's only one person for everyone" theory, I consider myself incredibly blessed that God brought our paths together.

For there is only one person that I'd go knocking down doors with in Texas....



Thank you Andrew Peterson for writing this song for us, the only thing you messed up on was our ages [smile]!

No comments: