Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

Rajneesh once said "The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new." I have to disagree.

You see, before Gabe came home I longed to be a mother. My heart ached for a child to love, my arms longed for a child to love; innately I knew something was missing. But according to my sweet husband, I already was a mother, just without a baby.

And while that is one of the sweetest things he could have ever said during that time of our life (or ever), I personally know other beautiful women who fit that description as well. Two of them I know better than I know myself; we share joy and laughter, pain and sorrow.

As much as motherhood is a part of who I am, it is also who they are. Their love, patience, depth of caring and kindness equates only to the characteristics you see in a mother. And if the world was a perfect place, their arms would be full of children.

But the world is far from perfect. Infertility and loss is an everyday part of peoples lives. So today, while we celebrate our mothers and the love they have given us, may we pray for those women (and men) that are struggling with the loss of a baby or the change of a path.

There are many women who taught me how to be a mother. For the past 28 years my mom has shown me what it's like to have unending and never ending love for your child. God definitely knew what He was doing when He gave me her.

My sister-in-law Annie has shown me how sacrifice and putting your children first is an everyday part of life. My neighbor Barb taught me that motherhood doesn't end when your children are grown. Jessie taught me patience and sacrifice as well while Sarah taught me that no matter how you body feels, your children always deserve your best. I have learned so much from so many different women in my life.

God has put some amazing mothers in my life; and I am so blessed to be able to learn from them. And while they may not be mothers by society standards, two of the women I have learned the most from, are two of the most beautiful mothers I can imagine. And even if they never become mother's in a traditional sense, motherhood is not always the number of your children but the state of your heart.

You know who you are, and you know how much I love you.

Happy Mothers Day to all, but especially my sweet Mama! Love you!



All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother.


-Abraham Lincoln

2 comments:

Heather & Chad said...

Happy Mother's Day Meredith!!!! I hope you had a fantastic day!!

Becky said...

I love this post, Meredith. And I am so happy that our paths to motherhood also brought us together as friends. Hugs!