Monday, May 2, 2011

Lots of thoughts

Last night as Matt was turning off the tv, the breaking news ticker came on the screen. So we stayed up. Before president Obama came on, I asked Matt "is this happy?" because I was already internally confused about being happy over someones death. And since I was not directly affected by 9/11, I felt a little closure as bin Laden's death was announced. I can not even imagine the plethora of emotions going through the victims families and friends.

Today as the media blitz continued and as facebook lit up with quotes; the words of Martin Luther King caught my eye:



"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

Light and love... if we only had a little bit more of both of those.

Tomorrow we take the first steps in the next part of our journey. After Gabe's physical therapy we'll board a plane and fly to Houston. I'm not exactly dreading it because the weather will be lovely but I'm definitely not excited. Yet. God is definitely working on me and since I don't want to move to Houston and be miserable... well, I'm glad God's not finished with me yet. In any respect.

Speaking of working.... our US CIS paperwork submission was rejected! Ack! Minor paperwork mistake but it will go back out in the mail tomorrow and then we'll keep moving forward. Frustrating? Yes, especially considering we're moving soon. Hoping this move isn't going to cause a lot more paperwork, I'm beginning to hate paperwork but know it's so worth it. And while I was lamenting the fact that this adoption isn't going as fast I want it too, I read Habakkuk:


"But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day." Habakkuk 2:3

Besides having the Lord stretch me through moving to Houston, he continues to work on my patience... the patience that are longing to fly to Ethiopia and hold our little one in my arms.

Our sweet little one Gabe will be flying for the first time tomorrow. I've decided Gabe will do 1 of 2 things (not that there are many options) and he'll either delight himself in making friends and smiling at other passengers or said passengers will clap when we get off the plane.

For ease at the airport and to save money, we are not checking any bags. Can I tell you how difficult it is to pack all of our stuff in two carry-ons and a diaper bag? Difficult but not impossible. With his diapers (disposable - ugh!) and all our toiletries in Matt's duffel bag, I fit everything Gabe and I needed into our carry-on and my diaper bag! Bonus is that we're bringing our computer.

So while there's no pictures of Gabe in this post, I'm sure there will be many of his first flight and first visit to Houston!

Speaking of pictures; I was so bummed that I forgot my camera when we went to Gabe's opthomalogy appointment. As this was Gabe's last appointment with Dr. R I would have loved to taken a picture of the 2 of them. Dr. R did however recommend a pediatric opthomalogist at Texas Children's Hospital University of Houston (and I thought saying Cleveland Clinic Children's Rehab West was a mouthful!) and dictated a very kind letter to her while we were there.

Dr. R was very pleased with how Gabe's eye looks and once again commented that the surgery couldn't have gone better. He also stressed the continued need to patch his left eye and while acknowledging the swiftness that Gabe pulls off the patches on a daily basis suggested we try some behavioral modifications. Gah! That sounded a little extreme, although I'm not sure what I was thinking of when he said it. Dr. R gave us a few ideas of things to try so we'll trudge forward with patching. Although I'm thinking we should maybe take out stock in ortopad!

Matt's brother(s) is renting our house when we move to Houston. Can I tell you how relieved I feel that we don't have to stress about selling it right now and we know who's renting it. And I know that they will take care of it! It may not be as sparkly clean as it is now (or when I clean, that is), it won't be damaged! To top it off, Matt's brother is going to house sit for us while we're in Houston thus ensuring our mail gets taken inside and our house stays safe! Thanks, Jud!

So, life continues on.... and while I am uneasy about the different turns our path is taking, I am so grateful for this wonderful life I have.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Have a good trip, Meredith!!! How exciting for all of you.